Monday, October 27, 2008

Economics


You know that age-old joke about how all college kids have no money?

You know that age-old joke about how no one has any money when the stock market crashes?

You know where I'm going with this?


I, along with everyone else, am broke. So I went out and got a pencil-pushing job for some extra bills to get me through the semester. I work for the national office of my Fraternity in a small office in Carrboro. Aside from helping them improve their website, I don't get to do anything really cool. Mostly a bunch of paper filing, folding and stamping.

I'm fine with that; I need the spare change. But in a time of economic stress, most companies are trying to be as efficient as possible.

Occasionally, I spent time working on packets, handouts, etc. that my Fraternity will be receiving in the next semester. For the last three days, I've been organizing, stapling and binding a packet that is to be sent out to each chapter (alpha) of our Fraternity.

I know that when I receive this packet in two weeks, I'm going to immediately throw it away.

Talk about frustrating...


When you've only been there for a week though, it's tough to tell your boss, who's spent a bunch of money on some pamphlet, that "this just isn't going to work."

Next year, if all goes according to plan, I'll be working in an ad agency somewhere. Advertising is going through a big transition phase right now and a lot of the old stuff just doesn't work anymore.

After today, I don't think I can stomach working for a place that's still handing out pamphlets, doing mass mailings, etc.


Even if it's worth the money for me, it's not worth money in general.

No comments: