Monday, October 13, 2008

I couldn't handle it...


There comes a point in everyone's life where they realize that they just can't handle something.

For some it's a relationship. Others, a job.

For me, it's online courses.

I tried. I tried setting aside specific hours each week where I had to work on that class. I tried moving that class to the top of my work priorities. Instead of improving, my other classes suffered.

So I made the executive decision this morning to drop the course.

I've never dropped a class before. I didn't know how. And you know what...

It's not easy.

And maybe it shouldn't be that easy. Maybe UNC doesn't want people to get a bad grade on a test, drink a little too much, go online and in a moment of angry spontaneity, drop a course. Fair enough.

But maybe it shouldn't be that hard either...

I went to the Journalism advising office today, signed in and waited 15 minutes to ask an assistant what to do if I want to drop a class. She informed me that "all class-dropping is handled in the Steele building."

So I strolled over to Steele and asked the receptionist where to go to drop a class. After I told her my major (Journalism), she instructed me down some stairs to the basement.


Have you ever walked in on a couple that just broke up? Everyone's crying, angry and absolutely does not want to see you.


That's sort of how I felt in the basement of Steele. Today was the last day you could drop a class. Students were packed in a tiny, hot, smelly room with one sweaty, balding guy walking around with a clipboard trying desperately to keep things organized.

So I signed in, scanned the room for the cutest girl that I could find, walked near (but not too near) her and made idle conversation.


Have you ever walked in on a couple that just broke up? Don't try to talk to the girl. She's not ready.


After 5 minutes of chitchat and 15 minutes of (really not too near) solitaire, Sweaty Bald Guy called my (badly mispronounced) name.

He confirmed my major and year and informed me that "the Journalism school handles all registration issues with seniors."


I looked at him like he was an idiot. He looked at me like I was an idiot. And I went on my way.


On my stroll back to the J-School, I tried to figure out where I'd gone wrong. I couldn't. And decided to let it go.

Back at the J-School, I signed in (15 spots below where I'd signed in an hour ago) and sat down in the only open seat. The girl next to me took an interest in my class schedule and in 10 minutes convinced me to take an Audio-Video Information Gathering class with her to replace the online class I was trying to drop. She seemed nice enough. Could be fun.

Finally, the advisor called my name, I told her my situation and she handed me a form. I filled it out, signed it, she signed it and handed it back to me.

I handed it back to her.

She handed it back to me.

With a confused look on my face I asked, "What do I do with this?" She informed me that I needed to give it to the receptionist at the Student and Academic Services Building (SASB) by 5:00pm.

She looked at me like I was an idiot. I looked at me like I was an idiot. And I went on my way.

SASB is a 20 minute walk from the J-School and it was 4:45pm.

I strolled (briskly) to SASB, walked in and asked the receptionist where to go if I wanted to drop a class. She pointed up and I ascended a staircase to find the woman I'd been dreaming about all day.

I asked her, "Is this where I drop this off?" She said, "Of course" as if implying, where else would you take it. I walked out thinking...

There has got to be an easier way to do that.

I don't know much about next year. But at least I won't have to drop a class.

No comments: