Monday, November 3, 2008

Indecision 2008


I can't tell you how many times I've had the following conversation:

Me: "You want to grab some dinner on 'X'day?
Girl: "Sure."
Me: "Where do you want to go?"
Girl: "I don't care."

Well I obviously don't care either. I'm just thrilled to be going to dinner with a girl...



So here's the problem: I don't want to have to think of a good, atypical, decently-romantic restaurant every time this happens.

Yesterday, I spent 6-8 hours in isolation trying to figure out a solution to this problem and here's what I got...

(Stick with me here)

Imagine an upscale restaurant that serves one three course meal each night. Every customer that eats there gets the same meal but the meal changes every night.

No decisions necessary.

It's like coming home from work and your wife has just put dinner on the table except you haven't married your wife yet and instead, are desperately trying to win her over by wining and dining her to the tune of a 5-star chef.

But the most important part is that you don't have to make any decisions. The restaurant does all that for you.

Yes, you're gambling on your (and more importantly your date's) meal, but that's part of the appeal.


There are some obvious flaws like people who have tricky allergies, vegetarians, etc., but no restaurant can appeal to everyone. I think this restaurant, if the food is good enough, could really generate a strong core group of customers as well as providing a unique, one-time experience.


Do you think it could work? Or am I trying hopelessly to solve something unavoidable?

1 comment:

leothelion4512 said...

A restaurant in Rome does this with great success.