Sunday, December 7, 2008

Not in the Cards


My last post was about doing things you've never done before and how it may change your life for the better.

Well sometimes it doesn't.

Tonight was shaping up to be a great night. I'd already been to the driving range, gone on a run, had a great dinner (Japanese), and my friends and I had decided to rent the new Batman Movie before shifting back into exam-week gear.

Two friends and I drove to the nearest Blockbuster to pick it up only to realize after 15 minutes of searching that it doesn't come out on DVD until December 9th.

After spending 20 more minutes arguing over what to get instead (I even called a third party to offer some insight), we gave up and decided to just see what was On Demand.


Half an hour ago, my friends decided to see The Strangers, the scary movie of this past summer.

They asked if I wanted to join them and as much as I love spending time/watching movies with my friends, I was forced to decline...

...and here's why:


This summer, knowing that I'm easily scared, a girl invited me to see The Strangers in the theater. I think it was some poorly planned, twisted form of flirting.

I initially declined but when she offered to pay (making it officially a date), I obliged.

Now, I don't see scary movies. I freak out enough as it is during the darker parts of movies like Signs, The Bourne Identity, James and Giant Peach, Fantasia and Step Up 2.

So I made a conscious decision when I was 12 never to see a movie that's advertised as 'scary'.

Until The Strangers.


I didn't go into the movie blind though. No, no. I was smarter than that.

I read all the spoilers and knew all the plot turns. I knew every time something popped out or someone died. I knew it all.

I knew it so well that I went into the theater with something resembling confidence.

I even had grandiose visions of her being more frightened and surprised than me. She'd have to curl up next to me and I could be the strong, confident man to protect her from anything that might actually come out of the screen and endanger her.


Then the movie started and all my something-resembling-confidence dissolved into the opening song.

I immediately started shaking and when I tried to cover my eyes or ears (or both), the girl found it inexplicably hilarious and forced me to stop.

She kept this up until around halfway through the movie when she realized that I had begun crying...

At that point she pretty much stopped acknowledging me and just focused on the movie.


After the movie, we avoided talking about what happened at all (especially the crying) and conversation, as you might guess, was forced.

I drove her home and after I dropped her off, texted some sort of awkward apology.

Needless to say, she did not text back.



So right now, while all my friends are pretending to enjoy The Strangers, I'm here with you, my real friends.

Thank you for understanding.


UPDATE: They just started Happy Feet. I think I can handle that one. See y'all later.

1 comment:

Los said...

Like you, I'm not that big of a fan of super-scary movies...but I am a sucker for zombie movies because they are not scary as they can't be true - zombies don't exist. They also kick some serious ass. Watch '28 Days Later' with me and let me know what you think.