Monday, December 1, 2008

Technology


It's great. You can now watch TV without commercials on your computer, find the answer to any question with a few clicks of a button, or identify a song's title and artist by holding your phone to the speaker.

But sometimes, it's not so great.

Sometimes, it's miserable.

I woke up this morning ready to take on the world. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and the squirrels were scrambling around desperately trying to store enough food so they don't starve this winter.

Life was good...

...and then I sent a text message...

...to a girl.

And everything went dark.

There's just something binding about a text message. When you call someone on the phone, when she doesn't answer, you can always not leave a voicemail to keep her guessing. With texting though, you might as well preface each text with, "I want to talk to you now and here's why..."

That's why it's so stressful when she doesn't reply immediately. And if you're anything like me, she rarely does.

And here's the thing, it's not like I'm in love with the girl I texted today. She changed her major to advertising, wanted to talk to me about it, I told her I'd let her know when I was free, end of story.

Yet, I still checked my phone every four minutes for the next three hours and every time I saw no missed calls and no new texts, I got that sinking feeling deep in my stomach, you know, just below the rib cage.

Each time I looked at my phone, for some reason, I thought you know what, this is it. This time she'll have responded. And each time I looked at my phone, that feeling sank just a little bit deeper.

As more and more time passed since my initial text, I began the doubting stage: Did I phrase the question wrong? Should I have called instead? Was it too long? Was it too short? Did I type "hand" instead of "game"? What was I wearing the last time she saw me? Oh no, it was the new shirt my mom got me that I promised I'd wear. I knew I shouldn't have worn that damn shirt. Why did you wear the shirt? Why?

And then just as I'd resigned myself to the fact that I simply wasn't going to be able to fall asleep tonight...

She responded.

And like an idiot, I immediately replied back...

...and it started all over.

That's how my life is everyday I send a text.

Well you know what, tomorrow I'm sticking to email. So if you're reading this and are considering texting me (unlikely), don't consider it.

Because if you do, you're gonna have that sinking feeling...

...not me.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Text stress plagues us all