Sunday, February 8, 2009

I love charity, yes I do...


...I love charity, god-I-hope-you-like-it-at-least-a-little-bit too!


That's the cheer I made up for my fundraising campaign for Dance Marathon.

What the hell is Dance Marathon?

I thought you'd never ask.

In short, Dance Marathon is a charity event for The North Carolina Children's Hospital where you have to dance (or at least stand) for 24 straight hours.

In long, it's a great opportunity to meet some new people (something I love doing). You put a bunch of people in a room where they have to stand for a whole day, there's going to be a chance to do some talking.

And if you can't tell from this blog, I also love talking.


Um... why are you telling me this?

I thought you might ask.

I need to collect at least $100 by Friday, February 20th.

Right now, I have $2. One for giving a friend a ride to the grocery store and the other for whining to a girl at the bar that not only am I never going to be able to raise enough money but my dog died today.

She felt bad and gave me a dollar.

No, my dog didn't die. (Hi Lottie)

But the whining-dog excuse is only going to work two, maybe three more times in the next week-and-a half so I need your help.

Even if it's only a dollar, take a second and give some spare change, show some passion.

I don't care if it's because you feel bad for me or want to feel good about yourself. Either way, we all win.

(You - 1, Me - 1, Children - 1)


Fine, you got me, how do I give?


Thank god you asked.

You can give by either clicking the very obvious widget to the right of my homepage, or by going to my main giving site here.



In order to figure out whether you should keep reading, please answer the following multiple choice question:

Do you owe me a dollar because I lent you one in the past?
a) Yes
b) No
c) No, but how many people could possibly owe you a dollar?

If you answered either a or c, read on. If not, see you next post.


For the c-folk out there:

I've posted before about the opportunity cost of a dollar. Well here's another example...

Last semester I realized that it was worth more than $1 to me for someone to owe me $1.

What are you talking about Alex?

I'm saying, I'd rather be able to point out to someone every time I see that person that he/she owes me a dollar than to actually have that dollar sitting idly in my wallet.

So for the past few months, every so often, I'd hand someone a dollar only to point out the next time I see that person that "you owe me dollar."

If that person tried to return the dollar to me, I would politely refuse.

If you don't believe me, try it out. I'm telling you, it's a lot of fun. Way more than a dollar's worth of fun.


For the a-folk out there:

Here is your chance to finally return that dollar you owe me. And I'm not even getting the dollar.

The children are.

So if you're reading this and you're tired of hearing about that dollar you owe me, click here (yes, it's the same link as the one earlier in the post) and you never have to be tired again.


To those of you who gave, thanks.

To those of you who didn't, I hate you... But thanks for at least reading.

1 comment:

William said...

This is hilarious. Nice work raising the money.